Friday, April 9, 2021

April 9, 2021 - sort of progress

Someone on QRZ forum has been giving me advice on my Class D design I am working on.  I soldered the tiny, tiny parts onto their breakout boards - I should really avoid parts this small in the future...



I found in my design that the coefficient of mutual inductance plays a huge role in the performance, and I don't really know what that is reasonable to be.  So I decided to make a 1:1 toroid and measure it (based on a procedure in EMRFD).  However, I could not get my Banggood special inductance meter to work right.  It has in the past, but no love tonight.  So I decided to try the function generator/oscilloscope approach where I see where an inductor gives me half the voltage of a known resistor.  Worked well for the primary/secondary windings, but couldn't get it to work for the other connections the book has me do.  I assume the values are low and need to use a high frequency, and the frequency generator isn't very linear in its output over large ranges.  May try some other method here soon.

I tried FT8 again tonight, but didn't get picked up by many receivers.  I checked my signal into a dummy load afterwards (trying to figure out how much power I was putting out), and into a dummy load I was doing about a watt.  However, I see that I am drawing half the power into the dummy load than I am into the antenna, so I should check that again.  I might want to build a little matching network, even though the NanoVNA (the last I checked) seemed to show things fairly happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment