Saturday, April 10, 2021

Class D progress - April 10, 2021

 Based on some feedback from the QRZ forum, decided to move forward with a bifilar wound FT50-43 (six turns, 1:1).  Here is the result


Unfortunately, the smoke test let out smoke.  The bottom transistor (not pictured) blew.  I had wired the output transformer wrong, so thought that was the cause.  I put in another one, but it blew also.  My current theory is that I don't have enough decoupling capacitors in there, so the driver isn't able to drive the transistor well, so it is just staying partially on and burning up.  Will add some more and try again (though hopefully that works, because I only have one left!)

I wasn't sure about doing the IC adapters here (probably adds inductance and capacitance - hopefully not the problem I'm having), but being able to easily swap the chips is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment