Sunday, December 8, 2019

Activities - 8dec19

Have been trying out WSPR with the Si5351 this morning.  I am using the sketch here.

Couple of learnings:

  • Can list serial ports on a mac with `ls /dev/tty.*`
  • The "serial" library it is talking about is pyserial (not serial).  I used pip to install the first and was confused why it wasn't working (the gist wasn't returning the error)
  • You can't program the arduino while the script is running (as they both use the serial port)
  • This script is set to run every 10 minutes.  Confused me why it wasn't working, but then it suddenly did.

No luck so far, though it isn't helping that the WSPRnet website doesn't seem to load very well.

So then I changed tact and decided to get my DC receiver back up and running.  Before even turning the VFO, I was getting in some local religious broadcast as strong and clear as could be.  Possibly need a stronger band pass filter...  Turning on the VFO, it was working, though I couldn't really hear anyone (some digital modes and someone speaking maybe spanish).  But it was 11am, so probably not the best time for 40m.  May try again tonight.

One thing I noticed this morning: powering my Arduino from my Mac works great.  Powering it from any power plug I can find is very noisy on the Si5351 output (either the 12v or usb).  Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment