Saturday, April 4, 2020

A little amplifier success

Charlie Morris had a youtube video on Class E amplifiers, so it made me want to try to get mine working.

I had tried previously using an Ixys driver, but I I think I may have blown it.  It is hard to tell.  I ended up pulling it out along with the IRF510 and putting a new IRF510 in with a bjt push-pull driving it, and a 2n7000 in front of that.


After wiring this up, I started with a lower Vcc and immediately got an output of about a watt.  Encouraged, I started slowing upping the voltage.  But at some point it stopped working - the power supply over current safety was tripping, and I wasn't getting an output, same as before.  But this time I went though and wiggled all the components and did continuity tests and tried again.  Then it started working again.  So maybe this is what was happening before - some stray whisker or something.  In any case, I upped the voltage up to 15v and got out about 4 watts.  I didn't want to go higher than that because I don't know the voltage ratings on the capacitors I used (the shunt cap should end up with about 3x Vcc if I remember correctly).

So, a bit of a success.  However, LTSpice thinks I should be getting out 14 watts at that voltage.  Also, the supply says I am drawing 694mA, which would be 10.4W, so not sure where that other 6.4W is going.  Nothing was getting that hot (I didn't even have a heat sink on the IRF510).  I probably need to go look at the waveforms at all the different points, but don't have time to do that right now.




3 comments:

  1. Nice work Ben. I will look at that discrete bjt totem pole also as that may help my PA to work. Charlie ZL2CTM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those values look about right. 680p D-S and 1n5 on the O/P. I just use a 100n coupling cap and 7T on T94-2 as BPF.
    Driver wise using the NCP81074A keeps things things simple and SQUARE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll take a look at that. MOSFET drivers are an area that I don't know much about.

      Delete